About Me

My photo
Irish, Geek, Hockey player. Loves Charity work, Spontaneity and a Challenge. Currently Conducting Academic Research into B2B Social Media use, more to follow...

Friday 5 November 2010

Charlene's Project

Visit her website
Charlene Barr was an inspirational teenager from Dollingstown in Northern Ireland; who despite suffering from Cystic Fibrosis endeavoured to live her life to its full capacity! She sadly lost her battle with Cystic Fibrosis on the 30th October 2010, surrounded by her family in her own home. However she never let her illness stop her from caring about young people in Uganda as during her short life she raised over £120,000 to fund a school for children to give them a bright hope for tomorrow.

I write this blog for two reasons.

1) To celebrate the life of wee Charlene. I didn't personally know her very well but she was in my sister's year in high school. Someone posted on the event "There are times in this life, if you take the time, that you can be led to be a better person by those you barely know. I had to stop the car and wait a minute when the news came through about Charlene Barr. The next time I whine about the trivia in my life I hope I will remember the courageous example this young, cheerful, determined lady set for the rest of us to follow..."

Age Quod Agis; Do what you are doing. If you're going to do it, do it. Do it right, give it your heart, your soul, give it you.

2) ARE YOU AN ORGAN DONOR?
For years I said to myself I would register to be an organ donor. When it was mentioned on a TV program I would make a flaky mental note to sign myself up. At the end of the day, when you're dead, that's it! Does it really matter that your carcass can't be buried with their organs when the other side of the story is that someone LIVES? Have a look at Victoria Tremlett's blog; she's a 23 year old woman who is also waiting for a double lung transplant. So if you haven't already, head over HERE and sign yourself up to the donor list. Then send the link onto your friends too. At the end of the day, no-one knows what life is going to throw at us. The very least each of us could do is give each other the best chance at this life as we can.

1 comment:

  1. I love this!! Charlene would be so embarressed to hear of herself being spoken in such high esteem, but she was amazing!! Always smiling!! I don't think I have a single memory of Charlene where she is not smiling or laughing at something!!! She was a beautiful person and such an inspiration to everyone who met her!!

    ReplyDelete